Tuesday, August 28, 2012

(Belated) Exciting News!

Well, I can't believe it's taken me this long to post - not because I'm good about posting, but because of the exciting news that will be in this post!

I came back from Dayton in mid July and went to Virginia and met up with Becky again at my grandparent's house for the weekend. After a fun weekend there I returned to work in Charlotte. I kept working for the next few weeks, with nothing standing out in my mind right off during those few weeks.

I took off my work "week" of August 10-13 so that Becky and I could go to Montana for our good friends Aron and Mandie's wedding. Wednesday, August 9 Becky flew down from Burlington, Vermont to Charlotte and we then spent the night with my sister in Charlotte. Thursday morning first thing we went to the airport to try to catch a flight to Denver, Colorado. The first flight filled up, but we were able to make it on the second flight as standby passengers. When we got to Denver, the car rental place was out of Economy and Compact cars, so we were upgraded to a Mid-Size for free, since that was the closest they had to what I had reserved - I was grateful, as the Dodge Avenger has a bit more legroom than a compact car.

We left the airport and went to Casa Bonita, a cool restaurant in Denver that my parents took me to once or twice back when we lived in Idaho. We left Casa Bonita and went to Wal-Mart to get what we needed for our time out west, then drove up to Ekalaka, MT, arriving around 11:15 Mountain time Thursday night.

Friday we got up and I picked up Becky where she was staying, and we went to camp to say hello to people, and did a bunch of work getting things ready for the end of camp and for Aron and Mandie's wedding. Friday evening we drove out to the Cliffs, one of our favorite spots near camp, and also where camp does rappelling and one of the camp out locations. We went out there and ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (the supplies we bought in Denver was mainly peanut butter mixed with jelly, and bread, for meals such as this).

A while after we ate, I suggested to Becky that we go throw some rocks off the edge of the cliff. Some of our good friends from camp had mentioned that they like to go up there sometimes and write various things (or people) they want out of their lives on rocks and throw them over the cliff. So I wrote something on a rock and let Becky see it, then threw it off the cliff, and she wrote something on another rock, let me see it, and threw it off. Then I suggested that we each do a rock for something we wanted out of the other person's life, and give it to them to throw off. So she wrote on a rock for me, with me not watching, then handed it to me to read and throw it off. I read it, agreed with her on what was written, and threw the rock off the cliff. Then I walked behind her so she couldn't see me and wrote on the rock I had for her. She was positive I was writing the word "worry" because one thing we've talked about is that she does struggle with worry a lot - she was even sure she could hear me writing the two r's and everything. I stayed behind her and handed her the rock, with the writing side facing away from her so she'd have to turn it over. While she was turning it over, I moved over to being beside her, but just out of her line of sight. She turned over the rock and saw the word "singleness" and was confused, so turned towards me - by this time I was on one knee, holding out a ring, and I asked her to marry me. We talked for a minute, with her asking if this was for real, me saying yes, her asking if I'd talked with her dad, and me explaining the conversation we'd had - finally I asked "so, is that a yes?" and she said yes! I then put the ring on her finger and she looked at it, we talked briefly, and we got in the car and drove to where we had cell phone service - so excited that we completely forgot to take any pictures where we actually got engaged ( we went back and did that the next day, though.)



And that is my exciting news! As of 08/10/2012, I am engaged to the woman of my dreams, my best friend! I still can hardly believe that God has blessed me so much as to allow me to marry this amazing woman! The encouragement that she is to me in day to day life, and in my Christian walk, is absolutely incredible. I now know I must for some reason be God's favorite person, or there's no way He'd be allowing me to marry her!

(If you'd like to read her account of this story, it can be found here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment